ESD Warning Signs/Labels and which one to use
Q: What is the difference between the symbols used in ESD warning signs / labels: yellow hand w/ black background; black hand w/ yellow background; attention; triange/hand with arch; warning; etc. and how do you decide which one to use?
A: As per ANSI/ESD S8.1-1993, there are two types of ESD awareness symbols identified.
The ESD Susceptibility Symbol:
- Consists of the Triangle, the reaching hand with slash through it.
- This means ESD sensitive devices or assemblies are present.
- DO NOT TOUCH or Handle Properly.
- If the device sensitivity is known, it can be added to the label.
ESD Protective Symbol
- Consists of the Triangle, the reaching hand and an Arc around the Triangle.
- This indicates ESD Protective Material such as chairs, mats, and wrist straps.
Another common ESD symbol for safety would be;
Common Point Ground
- This symbol looks like a bull’s eye and may be black and yellow.
- This represents connecting ESD control materials or equipment to electrical or 3rd wire ground.
- You can consult the standard S6.1 from the ESD Association for more on this.
On our website we have various ESD Labels, ESD Warning Signs and ESD Control Area Signs and Posters for your EPA (ESD Protected Area). The labels can be used on bags, boxes, and totes. The Caution Label symbol is still popular and is represented by a circle with three arrows entering into it.
The Attention Labels utilize the ESD Susceptibility Symbol and are represented by four different types:
- Small ESD attention labels- Destructible type or tamper-evident and is good for closing small bags containing ESDS components
- MIL 129 Label – Also destructible type or tamper-evident label
- ESD Attention Label – a label that also allows writing space
- Dry Packaging & ESD Susceptible Label
ESD Control Area Signs and Posters.
Black on Yellow or Yellow on Black print is just used for ease of reading and the MIL 129 label is the only one that I know that uses a black hand in a yellow triangle instead of a yellow hand in a black triangle.