Q: What does ASTM F2413-05 compliant mean?
A: I’ve got the document from the American Society for Testing and Material Standards (ASTM) in front of me now.
They sent me a copyrighted document on June 2nd of 2005.
It’s significance and use section is pretty encompassing;
- This specification contains requirements to evaluate the performance of footwear for the following:
- Impact resistance for the toe area of footwear.
- Compression resistance for the toe area of footwear.
- Metatarsal protection that reduces the chance of injury to the metatarsal bones at the top of the foot.
- Conductive properties which reduce hazards that may result from static electricity buildup, and reduce the possibility of ignition of explosives and volatile chemicals.
- Electric shock resistance.
- Static Dissipative (SD) properties to reduce hazards due to excessively low footwear resistance that may exist where SD footwear is required.
- Puncture resistance of footwear bottoms.
- Chain saw cut resistance, and
- Dielectric insulation.
There’s a section in there that describes Performance Requirements and Workmanship, Hazard Assessment, Labeling and Identification, Marking and Compliance Requirements, and Keywords.